St. Patrick’s Day is next week and I wanted to make some fun shamrock glasses for us to wear. I have a little bit obsessed with glitter cardstock and my Silhouette lately so that is what I used for this project.
Supplies for 1 set of glasses
- one 8.5 x 5.5 inch piece of green glitter cardstock
- one 8.5 x 2 inch piece of green cellophane
- adhesive (I used ATG tape and Xyron 510 permanent adhesive)
- Silhouette machine
- Silhouette cutting mat
Please keep in mind in the following directions that I was making two glasses at the same time.
1. Download my free Silhouette Studio cut file. This file is only for your PERSONAL use. Click here or on the preview to download.
The current size of the file is a good size for an adult. They fit me and my husband perfectly. My 7 year old daughter is also wearing them in the photo below.
The glasses are a little too big for her. When I made my son’s glasses, I reduced the size of the shapes to 90% of the original size. That size fit perfectly for Kara too. To reduce the size in Silhouette Studio:
- select all 3 shapes
- go to the Scaling Window
- input a custom size of 90%
- hit Apply
2. Use the Silhouette, Silhouette cutting mat and glitter cardstock to cut out the shapes. I rearranged the shapes a bit so I could cut out one set of glasses at 100% and one set at 90%.
2. Next cut out the green cellophane. To do this, move all the unnecessary shapes off of the mat in Silhouette Studio. Then click on the shamrocks, right click and then choose Ungroup.
This releases the inner shamrocks from the outer two shamrock shape. Now you can either move the shamrocks off the mat or delete them so you can cut the shape. I used the following custom settings to cut the cellophane.
3. Carefully remove the excess cellophane around the cut image(s). The cellophane rips easily. I started by lifting one corner and working my way slowing through design. Leave the cut images on the mat.
4. Add adhesive to the back side of the double shamrock piece(s). I used my Xyron 510 and permanent adhesive for this because of the 100% coverage of this type of adhesive.
Once both pieces were run through, I removed the top sheet.
5. Now, take the glitter paper with adhesive on the backside and put it on top of the corresponding piece of cellophane on the Silhouette mat. Press down to make sure the adhesive sticks. Then carefully peal off the glitter paper and the cellophane (they are now one piece) from the mat.
6. Take the corresponding long pieces and fold them a little on the short straight end and adhere them to the each side of the glasses.
I used ATG tape for this adhesive. Do not use a liquid based adhesive because it won’t work with the cellophane.
You are now ready to see green on St. Patrick’s Day with these glittery shamrock glasses!
Have a wonderful St. Patrick’s Day!