My 6 year old daughter and I did The Orlando Color Run 5K together in September, 2013. That race was my daughter’s first 5K. She loved it but you don’t have to take my word for it. Here’s a short video of her that I took right after the race.
My daughter and I started the race at the head of the pack. We even got to take a picture with The Color Run unicorn! My husband and 4 year old son were waiting for us around the mile mark. My son saw how much fun we were having and decided to join us. My husband walked the rest of the way with us but did not go through the color stations or the finish. He did not have any color on him so my kids remedied that with our pink color packets!
Reasons I love The Color Run
- The race was not timed. We felt no pressure to finish at a certain time so we just enjoyed the race.
- Walkers are welcome. We walked most of our race!
- There was a course map provided ahead of time so my husband and son knew where they could see us along the course.
- There were many volunteers near the color areas. Some of them were just there to give high fives and offer encouragement. My kids loved all the high five action.
- The “after party” was fun with music and more color!
- We each received a color packet when I went to get our race packets. They let me swap out my color because my girl really loves pink!
- There were a lot of fun signs and photo taking opportunities.
- There were aerators to help get the loose color off of us in the finish area.
- The color washed out easily in just one washing!
- Kids 5 and under can participate for free! No registration is required.
Tips for an enjoyable race
- I brought my smartphone along to take all the photos in the collage above. The phone was in a plastic bag at first and then I gave up on that. The color wiped right off my phone and it was fine.
- Wear sunglasses or some sort of eye protection to help prevent the color from getting in your eyes.
- Bring a change of clothes and shoes.
- Bring a towel for each person to sit on during the drive home.
- Bring a pair of gloves for the driver.
- Smile at everyone you see! This race is about having fun!
- Get a friend or family member to sign up with you.
The new Color Run 5K’s Kaleidoscope Tour is coming to Orlando on January 11, 2013 and all 4 of use are signing up for all the colorful fun! To find the date for a race near you, go to http://thecolorrun.com/
I’ll see you at the starting line!
Disclaimer: I received two free entries for this post but opinions are my own.