I didn’t know that Dr. Seuss’s birthday was such a big deal until my children went to school. Every year the kids do a lot of crafts and even eat green eggs and ham at school! I take pictures of the students in both my children’s classes for holidays and special events so this year I thought I would make my own photo booth props for the photos.
Free Silhouette Studio Cut File
My two favorite Dr. Seuss characters are the Cat in the Hat and the Lorax. I designed the Lorax’s mustache, the Cat in the Hat’s hat and the Cat in the Hat’s bow tie in Photoshop and them imported and traced them in Silhouette Studio to create cut files.
You can download the free cut files here or by clicking on the preview above.
- 2 sheets of 8.5 x12 red glitter cardstock
- 1 sheet of 8.5×11 white glitter cardstock
- 1 sheet of 8.5×11 yellow glitter cardstock
- two 1/8 inch x 36 inch wooden dowels ($0.29 each at Hobby Lobby)
- 2 sheets of 8.5×12 thin cardboard (I used one large cereal box and one Eggo Waffle box)
- adhesive for paper (I used ATC tape and my Xyron 510 permanent adhesive)
- four 3D foam adhesive stickers
1. First cut the base of the hat, both mustache pieces and the bow tie with cardboard. I trimmed down the large side of a cereal box for the hat and then used one large side of the Eggo Waffle box for the bow tie and the other large side of the Eggo Waffle box for both pieces of the mustache. The Silhouette Studio coverstock setting worked perfectly for cutting the thin cardboard. If you are using boxes like I did, place the outside of the box facing up so that the back of your photo props won’t look like a cereal box.
2. Use the red glitter cardstock to cut the base of the hat and bowtie. I used the Silhouette Studio glitter cardstock setting to cut all the glitter cardstock.
3. Use the white glitter cardstock to cut the three white pieces of the hat. Here are all the pieces of the hat.
4. Use the yellow glitter cardstock to cut both mustache pieces.
5. Add adhesive to the red glitter hat and adhere it to the cardboard hat.
6. Add adhesive to the three white glitter pieces and adhere them to the red glitter hat. For the two white stripes, the one that is more curvy is the top piece. Once I figured that out, I just set the white piece on top of the hat and slid it up and down the hat until it fit correctly. I used my Xyron 510 permanent adhesive for the white paper and my ATG on the red glitter paper.
7. Add adhesive to the red glitter bow tie and adhere it to the cardboard bow tie.
8. Add adhesive to the two yellow glitter pieces an adhere them to the corresponding cardboard pieces.
9. Place 4 small squares of 3D foam adhesive stickers on the back of the small mustache. Then adhere it to the large mustache. This gives the mustache dimension.
10. Heat up the glue gun.
11. Here’s what is completed so far.
Cut one of the wooden dowels in half (at 18 inches). I used kitchen sheers but use whatever will work for you.
12. For the mustache and the bow tie: Lay the wooden dowel on the back of the cardboard pieces next to where you want it. Place a straight layer of hot glue right next to the dowel and then placed the dowel into the hot glue. Hold the dowel down for a few seconds until the glue hardens.
13. Remember in step 1 when I mentioned to cut the cardboard with the printed side up? Well I didn’t do that for the hat so I cut another hat from red construction paper to put on the backside of my hat. I didn’t want people to be staring at my fruit loops box.
For the hat, the gluing process is the same but I had more of the stick glued to the hat to support the weight and the length of the hat. That dowel was 22 inches long.
Now the photo booth props are ready for posing!
This is just one example of awesome projects that you can make with a Silhouette Portrait! A few of my Silhouette loving friends and I are giving away one Silhouette Portrait to a lucky winner.
To enter, just fill out the Rafflecopter widget below. You can enter anytime between now and 11:59 pm Eastern this Friday, February 28, 2014.
If you can’t see the Rafflecopter widget, click here.
Here is a list of the other Silhouette lovers that are participating in this giveaway!
- Black and White Obsession
- Play. Party. Pin.
- Weekend Craft
- unOriginal Mom
- Architecture of a Mom
- McCall Manor
- Fabric of My Life with Tori Sophia Designs
- The Experimental Home
- Grey Luster Girl
- Two Thirty~Five Designs
- Peace, Love and Joyce
- Mabey She Made It