My husband’s birthday was earlier this month. This year, I planned way ahead for his birthday gifts. Two months ago, Pick Your Plum (affiliate link) had a special on insulated mugs for $5.99 each! I went a little crazy and bought 6 of them.
About a week before my husband’s birthday, Kara, Colin and I got to work.
- Insulated Mug from Pick Your Plum (affiliate link)
- 1 piece of 8.5 x 11 white cardstock
- crayons, markers, paint or photos to decorate the insert
1. Unscrew the bottom of the mug and remove the insert. Trace the insert on a piece of white cardstock. Cut out the cardstock for the new insert.
2. Personalize the insert with hand drawn art, painting or photos.
TIP: The photo above of Kara and her finished product is not the actual one we ended up using. Kara’s art was too close to the edges so when we put it back in the mug not everything showed. We left a buffer area around her second attempt and she was more successful. The final inserts we used are pictured below. Everyone wears a crown on their birthday at our house. Colin drew a picture of himself, my husband and a crown. Kara drew a crown and a list of the things that my husband says most often. My favorite is “don’t tell your mom.”
3. Roll the personalized insert and place it back inside the mug.
4. Screw the bottom of the mug back on the mug is done.
Of course my husband wore his birthday crown when he opened his gifts. The kids were so proud to show him their art. He opened Colin’s mug first and Colin proceeded to show him how to use the mug. It was precious!
Kara did her best imitation of my husband when she read all his sayings on his mug.
My husband loves his personalized insulated mugs that the kids made him. He also informs me that the mugs do a great job of keeping his coffee warm! The kids made these for a birthday gift but they would make an easy personalized gift for Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Valentine’s Day, Christmas or any holiday!
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post. I get a small commission if you purchase through these links but I only recommend products that I love!