The theme for the July Silhouette Challenge is favorite things. Three of my favorites are paper, photos and Instagram. As a longtime scrapbooker, I have been in love with paper for over a decade. Paper is the easiest for me to bend to my crafting will and use for my crafts. I do not have many photos of myself as a child and I definitely know I am overcompensating for this with my children. I adore photos. I love how a photos captures the emotions, relationships and a specific moment in time. As a social person, I love Instagram. I love scrolling through the photos and seeing the personalities of other people through their square photos. For Father’s Day, I decided to combine all these loves by creating Instagram paper albums for my dad and my husband.
- instant photo camera album by Carina Gardner (design 60474)
- patterned paper and coordinating cardstock for the cover
- 8.5x 11 piece of cardstock for the base
- one 8.5×11 piece of white cardstock or paper for each page
- adhesive – I used my Xyron 510 with permanent adhesive (affiliate link)
- embroidery floss
- paper trimmer – I used my Making Memories paper trimmer (affiliate link)
- Silhouette and mat
- Photoshop or Photoshop Elements (optional)
1. I printed 3×3 square photos to put in the album. I put two 3×3 photos onto one 4×6 photo for cheaper printing. You can download my PSD template here. You will need Photoshop, Photoshop Elements or gimp to use the file.
2. I bought Carina Gardner’s album in the Silhouette Online store during a 40% off sale. I used the design as the base for my paper album but I wanted the front of the album to look more like the Instagram logo. I started out with the die cut shape in the cut file for the cover, used my Silhouette knife ninja and offset skills to create my design for the front of the album.
3. I enlarged the size of the cover by 1/4 inches so that the inside pages would not show when the album was folded. Then, I cut all the paper pieces with my Silhouette and cut the photos with my paper trimmer. I had 12 photos so I only had to cut 3 pages because I used them double sided.
4. I used my Xyron 510 to adhere the paper pieces to the front of the album.
5. I originally thought I would staple the pages together but my stapler couldn’t reach the center of the album. I improvised and use dark blue embroidery floss and a needle to bind the album together. I started by poking a hole through the center from the outside of the album through one of the perforation marks. Then I went up inner side, to the outside and then back through the center. Then it was down the inner side, up the outerside and then back through the center. Then I looped through the thread that was inside, came back to through the center to the outside and tied it off. Tip: Don’t pull the thread too tightly or the album will not close well.
6. I love the look of rounded corners and they go well with the rounded corners of the album design so rounded the corners of my photos with a corner punch. Then adhered them to each page of the album.
For my dad’s album I used photos of all his kids and grandchildren.
For my husband’s album, I used photo of him and our kids.
The kids and I wrote a note on the inside of each album. I am happy to report that my dad and my husband both loved their albums.
If you love Instagram, you might also like my recent post on 10 Creative Ways to Display Instagram Photos.
Now check out all the favorite things from my Silhouette Challenge friends!
1. Just a Girl and Her Blog // 2. The Frill of Life // 3. A Time For Seasons // 4. The Thinking Closet // 5. Ginger Snap Crafts // 6. Grey Luster Girl // 7. Simply Kelly Designs // 8. Home At Eight // 9. Please Excuse My Craftermath… // 10. My Paper Craze // 11. Mama Sonshine // 12. Practically Functional // 13. Adventures in All Things Food // 14. Two Purple Couches // 15. Dragonfly & Lily Pads // 16. Sowdering About // 17. Cutesy Crafts // 18. My Mom Made That // 19. Pitter and Glink // 20. Pineapples And Pinecones // 21. Dream a Little Bigger // 22. McCall Manor // 23. TitiCrafty // 24. unOriginal Mom // 25. Persia Lou // 26. Lil Mrs Tori // 27. Home. Made. Interest. // 28. Sandpaper and Glue // 29. Silhouette School // 30. Creative Ramblings // 31. My Favorite Finds
Disclosure: There are affiliate links in this post. That means I get a small commission if you purchase through those links. As always I only recommend products that I love.