My kids had a day off from school last week and we had a session of Craft Lightning! This month’s theme of crafts that are done in 15 minutes or less (excluding dry time) is recycled crafts.
In my case we “recycled” bottle caps to make personalized bottle cap magnets for our refrigerator. We don’t drink any bottled beverages so I got my bottle caps from a friend who brews his own beer. This project is also a great way to use scrapbook paper scraps. My kids and I each made 3 personalized bottle cap magnets.
- 1 inch (29 mm) bottle caps
- 1 inch circle punch (affiliate link)
- Glossy Accents clear dimensional glaze (affiliate link)
- small adhesive magnets (not pictured)
- scrapbook paper scraps
I suggest completing each step for all the bottle caps before continuing onto the next step. This saves time and will also help prevent bubbles in Step 3.
1. Use the paper punch to punch out 1 inch paper circles. To punch out the exact design you want, hold the punch upside down so you can see what you are punching.
My 8 year old was able to use the punch on her own but I had to help my 6 year old son. It is much harder to use a paper punch upside down because you have to exert force in both directions instead of just punching downward.
2. Place the paper in the bottle cap. The one inch circle is a perfect fit in the bottle cap.
3. Add Glossy Accents on top of the paper. The Glossy Accents should be a thin layer that covers the paper and up to the edge of the bottle cap.
If you see any bubbles, use needle or a thumb tack to pop the bubble. If the bubble is stubborn and won’t pop, move it to the edge where it will be easier to pop. I handled all the bubbles because I didn’t want my kids to use a needle.
4. Let the Glossy Accents dry overnight. I checked the bottle caps three hours after the Glossy Accents was applied and it was dry to the touch but still cloudy. I checked again after letting it dry overnight and it dried clear.
5. Add an adhesive magnet to the back of the bottle cap.
My kids love having the magnets that they made on our refrigerator.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. That means if you order through the links I receive a small commission. Thank you for supporting Simply Kelly Designs.