The day before we left on our recent Disney Cruise, my daughter asked me to make her a “have courage and be kind” shirt. The quote is from Disney’s new Cinderella movie. This request probably shouldn’t have surprised me since we had seen the that movie together four times!
We packed princess dresses for Kara to wear to meet the princesses but she chose to wear her have courage and be kind shirt. The shirt was a huge hit with the Disney Princesses. Cinderella, Snow White, Rapunzel, Belle, Ana and Elsa all asked about her shirt and Kara was thrilled! Here she is discussing her shirt with Cinderella.
Follow the tutorial below to make a have courage and be kind shirt for your little princess!
- cotton t-shirt
- iron and ironing board
- piece of cotton fabric (for ironing)
- glitter heat transfer vinyl in sapphire
- Silhouette Portrait
1. Wash and dry the shirt.
2. Download my free Silhouette Studio cut file or png image to use with other cutters. These files are for personal use only.
The design has already been mirrored for use with heat transfer vinyl (HTV).
3. Use the Silhouette to cut out the design. Load the HTV directly into the Silhouette (without a mat) with the shiny side down. Remember to use load media and not load mat. More info on that in this post. I used the Silhouette Studio setting for Heat Transfer Material Flocked.
4. Weed the design by removing the excess vinyl off the plastic backing sheet. This leaves only the design that will be put on the shirt.
5. Iron the shirt first. Then place the vinyl sheet on the shirt.
6. Place a piece of cotton fabric over the vinyl. Press down on the fabric and HTV design with the hot iron for 60 seconds. Make sure to cover the entire design.
7. Wait until the plastic has cooled off and then start at one corner to peel off the plastic.
If you liked this shirt, you might also like this free printable Have Courage and Be Kind bookmark. Yes, I know we are slightly Cinderella obsessed!
I know that this have courage and be kind shirt is going to get a lot of use. And just in case you are wondering, Kara and I watched the new Cinderella movie for the fifth time on the cruise!